Ⅰ. Each of the statements below is followed by four alternative answers. Choose the one that best completes the statement and put the letter in the bracket. (30%)
1. Words of the basic word stock denote the most common things and phenomena of the world around us. Which of the following words is related to the natural phenomena? ( )
A. Father. B. Fire.
C. Evil. D. Old.
2. The differences between sound and form are due to the following EXCEPT ______. ( )
A. the fact of more phonemes than letters in English
B. stabilization of spelling by printing
C. influence of the work of scribes
D. innovations made by linguists
3. There are______ functional words in the following sentence: It is fun to play with children. ( )
A. 3 B. 4
C. 5 D. 6
4. The surviving languages fall into eight principal groups. Balto-Slavic, Indo-Iranian, Armenian and Albanian belong to the set. ( )
A. Eastern B. Southern
C. Western D. Northern
5. With the growth of______, British tentacles began stretching out to every corner of the globe, thus enabling English to absorb words from all major languages of the world. ( )
A. civilization B. revolution
C. colonization D. industrialization
6. Which of the following statements is NOT true? ( )
A. English is more closely related to German than French.
B. Scandinavian languages refer to Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish.
C. Old English vocabulary was in essence Germanic with a small quantity of words borrowed from Latin and Scandinavian.
D. Middle English absorbed a tremendous number of foreign words but with little change in word endings.
7. The word 'recollection' comprises ______morpheme(s). ( )
A. 1 B. 2
C. 3 D. 4
8. The following words have inflectional affixes EXCEPT______. ( )
A. happier B. worker
C. harder D. taller
9. Which of the following words is a root? ( )
A. International. B. Nation.
C. National. D. Internationalists.
10. The expansion of vocabulary in modern English depends chiefly on ______. ( )
A. borrowing B. semantic change
C. word-formation D. reviving archaic words
11. The word 'brainstorming' belongs to ______ .( )
A. adjective compounds B. noun compounds
C. verb compounds D. adverb compounds
12. ______does not generally change the word-class of the stem but only modifies its meaning. ( )
A. Prefixation B. Suffixation
C. Affixation D. Derivation
13. A word is the combination of form and______. ( )
A. spelling B. pronunciation
C. meaning D. sound
14. ______ is the result of human cognition, reflecting the objective world in the human mind.( )
A. Reference B. Concept
C. Sense D. Motivation
15. The meaning given in the dictionary and forming the core of word-meaning is ______. ( )
A. grammatical meaning B. lexical meaning
C. conceptual meaning D. associative meaning
16. The opposite of semantic elevation in meaning change is called ______. ( )
A. derivation B. deterioration
C. purification D. pejoration
17. One of the interesting features about a language is that there are a great many more ______ than ______ in it. ( )
A. hyponyms ... homonyms B. homonyms ... hyponyms
C. synonyms ... antonyms D. antonyms ...synonyms
18. Relative synonyms also called______ are similar or nearly the same in denotation, but embrace different degrees of a given quality. ( )
A. close-synonyms B. respondent-synonyms
C. near-synonyms D. dependent-synonyms
19. Angel, martyr and paradise have their meaning______ because of the influence of Christianity. ( )
A. elevated B. degraded
C. narrowed D. extended
20. Word-meaning changes by modes of extension, narrowing, degradation, elevation and______.( )
A. sense B. reference
C. association D. transfer
21. The well-known semanticist Ullmann notes, 'language is more______ than civilization, material as well as moral.' ( )
A. creative B. conservative
C. radical D. constructive
22. Which of the following is NOT one of the types of context? ( )
A. Linguistic context. B. Non-linguistic context.
C. Extra-linguistic context. D. Intra-linguistic context.
23. Which of the following may NOT lead to ambiguity? ( )
A. Grammatical structure. B. Polysemy.
C. Antonymy. D. Hyponymy.
24. Which of the following is NOT true about linguistic context? ( )
A. It can be subdivided into grammatical context and lexical context.
B. It embraces the people, time and place.
C. It refers to the words, clauses, sentences in which a word appears.
D. It may cover a paragraph, a whole chapter and even the entire book.
25. The idiom 'live by one's pen' is a ______as far as figures of speech are concerned.( )
A. simile B. metaphor
C. metonymy D. personification
26. 'Cut and driect' is an idiom ______in nature. ( )
A. verbal B. nominal
C. adjectival D. adverbial
27. The change of idiom 'A round peg in the squarest of holes' from the original form is ______.( )
A. dismembering B. position-shifting
C. addition D. shortening
28. According to the textbook, the best-known unabridged dictionary is______. ( )
A. The Word Book Dictionary
B. The Encyclopedia Americana
C. Webster's New World Dictionary
D. Webster's Third New International Dictionary
29. Which of the following dictionaries is NOT a bilingual dictionary? ( )
A. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English with Chinese Translation.
B. A New English-Chinese Dictionary.
C. Longman Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs.
D. A Chinese-English Dictionary (1995).
30. Which of the following is true about an American Dictionary? ( )
A. It is always better than a British dictionary.
B. It contains more encyclopedic information in the main body.
C. One can never expect to find British usages in it.
D. It includes more grammatical information.
Ⅱ. Complete the following statements with proper words or expressions according to the course book. (15%)
31. A word is a ______ form of a language that has a given sound and meaning and syntactic function.
32. In the Middle English period, the Norman Conquest started a continual flow of ______ words into English.
33. The basic form of a word which cannot be further analyzed without total loss of identity is called a ______.
34. The method of creating words by removing the supposed suffixes is called ______.
35. Words such as 'vicious, tyrant, determined, famous, notorious' usually indicate the speaker's attitude towards the person or thing in question. They have ______ meaning in themselves.
36. A word which is related to other words is related to them in ______.
37. Car which used to be a 'two-wheel cart drawn by horses and used in ______ 'has taken on the meaning 'automobile' with the development of modern car industry.
38. In the sentence 'Copernicus believed in a heliocentric universe, rather than in the geocentric theory.', the word 'heliocentric' is explained by the clue of ______ structure.
39. Due to structural ______ of idioms, the word order of the idiom 'by twos and threes' cannot be turned into 'by threes and twos'.
40. Against the traditional practice of lexicography, ______ creates an extra column arranged alongside the definitions.
Ⅲ. Define the following terms. (15% )
43. grammatical meanings
45. rhetoric characteristics of idioms
Ⅳ. Answer the following questions. Your answers should be clear and short. Write your answers in the space given below. (20%)
46. What are the three periods in view of the development of English vocabulary?
47. What is the difference between partial and full conversion? Explain them with examples.
48. The word 'happy' has two different types of antonyms at the same time, one being negative and the other opposite. What are they?
49. Can you determine the meanings of the following sentences? Explain and make some alterations in the context so as to pin down the meaning.
(a) The fish is ready to eat.
(b) I like Mary better than Jean.
Ⅴ. Analyze and comment on the following. Write your answers in the space given below. (20%)
50. Comment on the following groups of words to illustrate semantic features and grammatical features of compounds.
Group 1 'a green hand', 'flowerpot'
Group 2 'bad-mouth', 'new-borns'
51. Analyze and comment on the following sentences based on the concept that antonyms differ in semantic inclusion.
［A］ How tall is his sister?
［B］ How short is his sister?
- 自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2013年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2014年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2015年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2020年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 自考《管理体系与认证》2010年真题下载 01962试题下载
- 自考《工程制图》2008年真题下载 02151试题下载
- 自考《工程制图》2013年真题下载 02151试题下载
- 自考《互联网及其应用》2013年真题下载 03142试题下载
- 自考《互联网及其应用》2011年真题下载 03142试题下载
- 自考《互联网及其应用》2012年真题下载 03142试题下载
- 1自考《国外饮食文化》2012年真题下载 00989试题下载
- 2自考《国际商法》2014年真题下载 00091试题下载
- 3自考《互联网数据库》2020年真题下载 00911试题下载
- 4自考《管理体系与认证》2011年真题下载 01962试题下载
- 5自考《工程经济》2010年真题下载 02194试题下载
- 6自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2014年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 7自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2020年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 8自考《互联网软件应用与开发》2015年真题下载 00898试题下载
- 9自考《工程招投标与合同管理》2010年真题下载 03941试题下载
- 10自考《互联网及其应用》2011年真题下载 03142试题下载
- 云南自考 (100)
- 自学考试 (12)
- 专升本 (19)
- 自考真题下载 (2449)
- 自考试题下载 (2449)
- 保险学原理 (10)
- 财政与金融 (11)
- 财政学 (10)
- 成本会计 (9)
- 导游业务 (10)
- 电子商务与金融 (14)
- 国际财务管理 (13)
- 国际企业管理 (12)
- 高级财务管理 (8)
- 高级财务会计 (9)
- 工商行政管理学概论 (8)
- 公共政策基础 (9)
- 管理思想史 (8)
- 管理学原理 (8)
- 国际运输与保险 (16)
- 管理心理学 (14)
- 市场营销 (8)
- 保险法 (8)
- 法学概论 (10)
- 法理学 (8)
- 公务员制度 (11)
- 个案社会工作 (8)
- 婚姻家庭法 (8)
- 市政学 (10)
- 司法鉴定概论 (9)
- 宪法学 (8)
- 刑法学 (8)
- 西方法律思想史 (8)
- 行政法与行政诉讼法 (8)
- 公共关系学 (14)
- 公关心理学 (12)
- 广告法规与管理 (11)
- 广告策划 (11)
- 中国古代文学作品选（二） (9)
- 中国古代文学史（二） (10)
- 中国古代文学史（一） (9)
- 中国文化概论 (9)
- 中国税制 (9)
- 艺术概论 (10)
- 英美文学选读 (9)
- 传播学概论 (12)
- 心理卫生与心理咨询 (11)
- 认知心理 (10)
- 办公自动化设备 (10)
- 个性心理学 (10)
- 操作系统 (9)
- 操作系统概论 (10)
- 当代中国政治制度 (11)
- 房屋建筑学 (10)
- 互联网及其应用 (11)
- 自考本科 (13)
- 自考专科 (18)
- 考试安排 (50)
- 自考复习资料 (236)
- 货币银行学 (11)